
This French expression, literally "Every 36 of a month" actually is their way of saying "every once in a blue moon". I so far have been unable to understand the origin of this saying, but the quest continues.
However, it is appropriate for today, my 36th birthday and perhaps the first in many a moon where I won't celebrate with a cosmopolitan. After another night of tossing and turning and very little sleep, eating yogurt at 2:30 am, trying to sleep out on the couch for awhile, I can't say I'm feeling my peppiest to start off the new year.
Yet, despite the looming France/Switzerland match this evening and a heatwave that is overshadowing everything else in the world here, my day was off to a good start: fresh pastries and local cherries brought to me in bed by my soccer-obsessed but darling husband. Second, 4 great cards from home that have arrived in the mail and I've been stockpiling for the big day - thanks family! And, best of all, 2 photos attached which actually made me tear up from my nephews, who deserve to be seen on this blog. Don't cross Cole (the blond one) in a dark alley - look at that stare!

5 comments:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JULIE!!! 36 isn't so bad....
RE: France vs Switzerland
What, no extra innings?
How lovely to have breakfast in bed on your birthday. You don't look a day over 20!
My goodness, those pictures of your two nephews are as cute as cute can be!
Love, Lisa
Dear sister Jules,
i was hoping you might get my card in time to mix up a cosmopolitan of a different color! anyway, happy, happy birthday!!!!
I loved the greetings from Cole and Wayne!!! You heard about a new sweetie coming on this side of the ocean?
Hope you can sleep better. BTW, the soccer news is all over our news, too....
Love,
SAM
Jules,
When I told Darlene today what great photos of the boys these were, she told me that what she thought was going to be a quick little take-a-photo-email-it turned into a long session trying to get the boys to cooperate for this photo! maybe that explains Cole's scowl.
Post a Comment