
This expression is a joke between my husband and I. It's what all the sports announcers say to mean "What a disappointment". I heard it first during the Olympics in Turin, when at every turn French athletes were not meeting the hopes of the French public. I've heard it during the Tour de France. `
And now, just when you thought it was safe to come out of the woods, France's Football Hero clearly lost his mind in the last 5 minutes of his long and illustrious career and headbutts someone, getting himself thrown out of the game, leaving the French team one man down, and leaving them without their star penalty kicker.
Did Zidane lose the World Cup for them? No, surely not. Without him they most likely would never have gone so far. But he will lose a certain following among the French for sure. "How could he?" were the words of my stunned and shocked French husband as he sat with his hand over his mouth on the edge of our couch.
What a bad taste in the mouth.
Back to life as I knew it before June 9th, before it all started.
Let's all get a grip here: People are dying in plane crashes and in the Gaza strip, and America is still crazily at war in Iraq. There are much bigger things to be disappointed about or worried about than a soccer tournament.
2 comments:
We watched the whole exciting match. We felt sorry for Thomas and all of France.
SAM, jr.
I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»
Post a Comment