
Who recognizes this song from the old Bing Crosby film "White Christmas"? Rosemary Clooney sang it.
"Sisters, sisters
there were never such devoted sisters.
Never had to have a chaperone, no sir
I'm here to keep my eye on her!"
"Caring, sharing
every little thing that we are wearing
when a certain gentleman arrives from Rome
she wore the dress and I stayed home!"
"All kinds of weather
we stick together
the same in the rain or sun
two different faces
but in tight places
we think and we act as one... uh-huh!"
Apparently in 1976, at the bi-centennial celebration of America's independence, there was a talent show in a nearby town to where I grew up in Jericho, Vermont. It was a big event. My 5 sisters and I (I had just turned 6 years old) performed this song up on the stage. I have an ever-so-slight memory of that night. We all wore big straw hats with different colored grograin ribbons. I remember nothing else, except my father had a microphone in his hand - perhaps he was the MC of the whole event.
Last week one of my sisters, Lisa spent a lot of time and money to fly to France from America. For 7 days she bought groceries, cooked meals, made me lunch, did laundry, mopped floors, vacuumed, cleaned my bathroom, took out my trash, organized baby clothes, ordered me to take a nap each and every afternoon, took me out to dinner, made me tea, took me out for walks on the port, bought my favorite cereal, put together a fruit salad with blueberries and cherries and raspberries, and, last but not least, took care of Estelle with me round the clock. She calmed me down, showed me that my daughter can smile, She showed me tricks how to make my daughter fall asleep, how not to lose my mind in the middle of the night, and how to fall in love with my child. If my mother was younger, it's what she would have done for me, but my mom isn't young, and my sister just stepped up to the plate and came across the ocean and saved my life. And her husband tagged along and ran errands, took photos, cut up vegetables, was a great companion and made us laugh.
Today they went back, and I had my first day alone with Estelle since she was born a month ago. My apartment is full of baby, but empty of sister
5 comments:
Okay, that made me cry!!! The talent show was in Jericho, i think it was to raise money for the first ever summer recreation program. I think, though, at the last minute, Dad bowed out and Ed stepped up to the plate (dressed as an old time Vter), and though he was only 18ish, he did a great job. I think Whistlin' Earl entertained, too....
I loved the pic of Estelle and her auntie!!!!SAM
Hear, hear! She's a great lady. Thanks for giving her back!
-SAM Jr Jr?
Hi Girl!
I'm glad to read you're doing better than a few weeks ago! Hang in there! I miss you and our long phone conversations back when you had nothing better to do than to tell me stories about plumbers, your students and their Mc Donald's love affairs, dead hampsters, anglo info purchases, etc...I hope you entertain Estelle with all this stuff when you're alone together!! :)
Big bisous to the three of you! Ttys I hope!
Larissa xo
It was my pleasure to take Mom's place last week. Julie, Thomas, and Estelle make a lovely family.
- Lisa
Looked at this great photo again, and realized both have long legs!!!
SAM
Post a Comment