Saturday, August 05, 2006

Fun Years


Please note the embroidered slogan on Estelle's "transat". First of all, let's acknowledge that the French call this reclining infant seat a "transat', which is the same word they use for a chaise lounge beach chair that you find pool-side. The origin of this word dates from the days of big boats crossing the ocean between England and America, and people would lie out on the decks of the boats in these chairs - Trans Atlantic, or, hence, "transat".
Well, I find it particularly funny that Estelle's chair, purchased 2nd hand from an English woman I met via an anglophone website here on the Riviera, is labelled "Fun Years". Like they need to stitch that motto into the fabric to remind desperate new mothers that in fact, this is the best time of your life or something? My fun years involved multiple cosmopolitans, june bugs (exotic drink found in midtown Manhattan), late nights in DC/NYC/Nice and various "amants" - one of which miraculously became my husband.
But don't you see just the *hint* of a smile of that little girl's face? I do. Promises of better things to come - the new breed of Fun Years.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Julie, you have figured it out! When the first bébé arrives you simply put your life on hold for... let me see now... 25 years and counting. Then the Fun Years return. (I hope.)

Anonymous said...

What long legs she has! I think she looks like Thomas!
Sam, Jr.

Anonymous said...

Estelle looks so tall!!!!
SAM