
Last night at 8 pm, I came out of my kitchen where I'd been cooking up garlic and onions, thus had the range fan on and the kitchen door shut, oblivious to anything else going on in the apt, and this is what I saw. Thomas in his pyjamas with this man. Who is he, you may ask? Why, one of our local firemen, naturally.
Each year around this time, they go door to door, all over the country, selling calendars. Ours is complete with photos of the French Riviera on fire and various states of disarray. Note the wallet in Thomas' hand. By "donation", you get one of these lovely calendars. I wanted to invite the guy in and hear his life story. 8 pm, going door to door! Can you imagine?
Just one of the many things that make life interesting living over here. Plus, let's discuss that uniform. He was proud as a peacock to have his photo taken by an "American".
2 comments:
ha. i love that a cute fireman came to your door and i love that he posed for a photo with thomas! wouldn't it be funny if all professions went door-to-door with calendars? you could have your boulanger calendar, your policier calendar, your épicier calendar, etc etc etc...
xo
jeri (maybe i could go door-to-door with a grad-student calendar? though i'm pretty sure nobody would donate for that)...
Hi Jules,
Please, let us not speak of calendars...I must have 50 hours into Mom's. Hope you gave the man 500 euros! At first I thought it might be the postman, your daily friend with messages and gifts from afar.
I am reading this incredibel book, Expecting Adam, and last night, in the middle of the night, I read the chapter on a fire, so when i began reading your blog, I was afraid there had been a fire. So glad that it was just a calendar. So this is the way things are done pre-telemarketers!!
PS. today in the the po in Newport, one of the clerks was joking with a French-speaking customer, and she said,
"Tan-naw" I asked her about it, she said it meant Naughty. I don't think I have ever caught anyone using the word, outside of mom's family.
SAM
Post a Comment