Proof:
Also off our balcony you can see "Chez Pipo", which makes the best socca in Nice. Socca (pronounced So-Kah) is a speciality of Nice and the surrounds, I have never seen it anywhere else. It is something cooked on huge extra-wide diameter pizza-style pans on wood fires. A liquid batter is ladled on the pans and cooked for 10 minutes or so. The batter is from a base of oil, chick pea flour, and probably milk or something. When they pull the huge pan out of the fire, they slice it up in strips and you eat it with your fingers, putting pepper on top first.
This is something that allegedly the fisherman thought up and would have in the mornings when they would come in from the morning fish. It is commonly consumed with rose wine. Technically it's not a meal, but it is.
Tonight I had my first socca of the season (photo below), on the eve of my departure to a land of hot dogs, rootbeer, bagels, and creemees. Hallelujah. Bring it on.
4 comments:
Mmm. That stuff is sooo yummy! I've looked around NYC for it with no luck (and I thought they have EVERYTHING here!) So i found a recipe (and some history) on line: http://www.beyond.fr/food/soccadenice.html Now all i need is a large copper pan!
Love from your neice, Emily
Have a good trip home!!!
safe home!
xo laura
Off to the States again eh? Have a wonderful time! Hope we can chat soon. Funny, my parents showed up at my place with a tomato plant for Laurent and I too...haha We're still waiting for them to grow though!
Talk soon! Biz
Post a Comment