Of course the kids that I give lessons to will all pass, because any parent who goes the extra mile to get private lessons for their kids in general have kids who will not fail the Bac.
Here is Thomas, my student. He'll be 18 in the fall. When I started with him he was 11 years old. He is the dream student. He is my surrogate nephew in France. He goes to the best (public) high school in Nice (because his parents lie about their address to get him in), and is in the best "track", which is Science/Math. Even if it isn't what you want to do with your life, that is the track to be in in high school, because that, according to public opinion (and every teacher I know) is where the "smart" kids are. Which is not true as I know many lovely individuals in the "L" track - literature.
Anyways, good luck Thomas. As I said to him last week at our last lesson, the question isn't will he pass or fail, the question is how high will he score. I am sorry to say that there are thousands of French kids out there who are not in such a comfortable position today as they enter into this barbarian testing system, which I hope to god my daughter will never have to be subject to.
3 comments:
Ahhh Le bac... Please Julie, don't say that S is the best track... All French teachers believe that, but that's not true... Honestly, I think ES is probably the track that opens the more opportunity for the future, as you get a little bit of everything... With Science, the kids end up sucking at French and literature, and with L, they suck at Math and Science... In ES (Economique et Social) everything counts :)
Anyway, I hope all is good for you in Nice! I'm coming back July 16th, maybe we could meet up and i could see the little Pricess (ou la petite puce haha)!!
Bises,
Your favorite student :) (well #2 after Thomas now I guess...^o))
Oh, boy... for generations people try to figure out what is the best way to configure education, and we still don't really know the answers! I think caring about students is the only thing we know really makes a difference.
Good luck to Thomas!
I think a liberal education is the best, (which must be the ES track!), plus going to movies, which I must admit is the only reason I know who is on Thomas' shirt! (I saw that great motorcycle trip movie, though Ican't remember the title.)
At least I THINK that's who is on his shirt!
The real question here: how would Che feel about private English lessons, Thomas?
Post a Comment