
Probably I am the last person on the face of the earth to have read Khaled Hosseini's "The Kite Runner". I guess that's what happens when you a) have a baby combined with b) living in a foreign country.
Anyways, I just read it this wkend in less than 48 hours with interruptions for my daughter, my husband, my in-laws, my students, eating and sleeping (though not much of that).
So it got me thinking how to use my blog for my own benefit..... if you are reading this, then I ask you to post a comment (you can remain anonymous, use your name, use some code name, just pick your poison) telling me a great book you think I should read that you've read relatively recently.
I'm going on vacation in a few weeks and I want some good books with me, but for me to get a hold of them in English, I'll need to start looking now.
So please, readers, take a minute, even if you have NEVER commented on my blog before, and give me a lead on a good book! You might even get some titles for yourself from others.
How about title, author, genre or fiction or non, and one thing or sentence about what made an impression on you or why you are recommending it.
I accept all kinds of books - they do NOT all have to be in the "heavy emotional memoir" category like the Kite Runner!
Thanks for playing!
16 comments:
michael ondaatje, "divisadero". or anything else by ondaatje, especially "in the skin of the lion".
xoxoxo
dr. j
I was watching "The Hour" last night, I'm sure you've never heard of it..it's a Canadian show. :)
The host had a Canadian journalist named Jan Wong as a guest. She just wrote a new book called Beijing Confidential about her quest to find someone she had met in 1973, and whose life she was sure she had ruined forever. Jan speaking about the experience in China during the Cultural Revolution was captivating. I can't say I've read it, but I think it'll be the next book I pick up. (That is, if I ever have a second between report card writing, planning, workshops, and all that goes into being a first year fourth grade French immersion teacher!!!!) AHH!
xo
Larie
Where are you going to find English books in Nice? If you have a good English bookstore (hmm - Google mentions "The Cat's Whiskers") and if they have a selection of used paperbacks then you might want to pick up 3 or 4 books by different authors to make sure you find one or two good ones. This would be a "what's on the shelf" search as opposed to a premeditated search. This is the way I usually prepare for travel or vacation reading.
If your plan is to purchase books on-line then don't forget that http://www.amazon.com/ has helpful readers' reviews, lets you read sample pages, suggests other books you might like, and has links to the NY Times bestseller list. You would switch to http://www.amazon.fr/ to make the actual transaction, I suppose.
Another website that might be of interest to you is http://www.oprah.com/books/books_landing.jhtml
I'm sure your more contemporary friends like Dr. J and Larie also have good suggestions. My personal favorites would be available only on parchment scrolls or clay tablets.
Well, I do read a lot each day, but usually on the reading/comprehension levels of my 3,5, and 7 year olds. My reading for my own pleasure is almost non-existant.
I did just finish reading today Berry Brazelton's book on Sibling Rivalry ... maybe you would be interested in that one some day ... : )
I can really only dive into books that move really quickly, and keep my interest, and I cram my reading into a short amount of time just as you did this past weekend.
Here are two books that I have enjoyed. The Secret Lives of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd), you might have already read it. It is a good book about the strength and loyalty of sisters, and the secrets they keep. I also really enjoyed Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Jonathan Safran Foer). It is a very unique book, with a writing style I haven't ever experienced before. It moves quickly, and is interesting. It is about 9/11, and a boy's interpretation about the events, his seeking some answers,and how the events effected his life. Lots of cool photographs too.
If all else fails ... Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and Blueberries for Sal are always a hit at my house! Emily is reading The Penderwicks, a really fun chapter book for her ... that is her recommendation!
Good luck! And, just so you know ... I haven't read Kite Runner yet! Let us know what you choose!
I liked "Mother & Daughter - Two Diaries of Glover, Vermont Girls" because each chapter contained mystery, suspense, romance, or insight into the soul.
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury. It's sweet, old fashioned, fabulous, quick and grabs your heart. It's one of my favorite stories. And it won the National Book Award back in the day.
I love Janet Evanovich- especially her Stephanie Plum series. These are light "popcorn" reading just for fun.
Grandma is a hoot!
Hi jules,
got your phone message about the books...yes, I think I had told you how good they were. Also I think i was telling you how good the glass castle (was...(walls is author)
"The Time Traveler's Wife" is amazing! I could barely put it down.
I just started Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and I think you'd like it too.
"A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson (a New Hampshireite who also spent time in England) is a witty and interesting account of the author's adventures on the Appalacian Trail. : ) Emily
_The Sportswriter_ by Richard Ford: very wry, very funny, very sad. And most importantly: very short.
Flight by Sherman Alexie
Memories of my melancholy whores by gabriel garcia marquez
drinking junebugs with jules by brenda renee dutrow (a memoir)
flight by sherman alexie
memories of my melancholy whores by gabriel garcia marquez
drinking junebugs with jules by brenda r. dutrow (a memoir)
Terry Goodkind "Sword of Truth" series... it's a fantasy series for adults that is extremely interesting, and very well written.
The final book just came out, and there are (I believe??) 8 of them, and I recommend them highly! Chris practically forced me to read them ages ago, and I thought I wouldn't like them, but I LOVE the series.
Post a Comment