That very night I participated in something called "Shape Note Singing", which, if anyone has seen the film "Cold Mountain", is what Nicole Kidman is doing in a few scenes in her dad's church. This old style of group singing has a major grassroots following up there in VT and nearby, and my sister's fervor peaked my interest. I wish I had a photo of the inside of the barn at the infamous Bread and Puppet where it took place, but even that wouldn't do it justice. It's without a doubt an audio thing. Suffice to say that I sang my head off, even if I couldn't always read the shapes. It was so beautiful, truly.
Back to the photo chronicles: Here's our cabin on Shadow Lake. Dad built it himself in 1957 after purchasing the land from my French-side grandfather (in other words, Mom's Dad). 51 years later, it is still going. No running water, sleep loft, and many many memories. We love it. Outhouse and all.
Wes and I took his boys overnight on Thursday evening. They fished, and I barbequed for the 2nd time in 5 days. I'm becoming a pro. This time it was venison on the grill (sorry Jeri and Sara). And man was it gooooooooooooood. Here they are down on the dock catching stuff.
Oh that's right, readers, lean in an get a closer look - yep, a real griddle. There it is. As in John Denver and sun's comin' up and there's cakes on the griddle. Even with blueberries.
And maple bacon.
Friday we got ready to leave on Saturday to head down below Boston for my niece Caitrin's wedding. I took a photo of the limo cause I knew my husband would be impressed.
Here's part of the ceremony of the wedding in the Orthodox church. They circle a table 3 times holding hands. I should be able to tell you what it means but I already forgot. Check the comments on this entry and with time I'm sure sister Laura can chime in with an explanation.
Maid of honor, my niece Maura and the groom's brother as the best man.
Me with the bride and groom, Michael.
That is one blue cake. Yummy.
The 6 sisters hit the dance floor. You probably all know who is who in there. Without planning it, we are lined up in order of beauty, I mean, age! Just kidding Joan!
This in my niece Emily and her beau Michael (can we find some guys to add to the family who aren't named Michael, please?) They both live in NYC and came on the good old Chinatown to Chinatown bus for the occasion.
Maura and Joan
Maura and me
Cait and Wes (who is sober, even though he doesn't look it!)
Mom getting serenaded by the DJ man, to a Sinatra song of course.
In case you hadn't noticed, I wore a hat to the wedding. In France, women wear hats to weddings. I brought a hat. Suffice to say there was a LOT of commentary about the hat throughout the entire weekend. As the dancing went on, the hat started making the rounds. These are just a few photos:
Wes in the hat
Sister-in-law Susan in the hat
Woman whose name I can't remember in the hat. Laura, what is her name? She is the woman who brought together my sister Laura (mother of the bride) and her 2nd husband New Paul. We call him that to distinguish him from the "real deal", our brother Paul. I have always called him by his middle name, George, so I only have to refer to New Paul as New Paul when I'm talking out loud to anyone else. Which is, I have been told after the past 2 weeks, all the time. Me?
You think here I'm laughing but really I think Mary stepped on my foot.
There are no pictures of so many other family who were there - brothers Ed and Ced, brother-in-laws Dan and Danny (again, looking forward, I ask that we try to avoid bringing in a man with a name already in use by someone in the family), brother-in-law Chris and his daughter's boyfriend Chris (you see what I'm saying here?) and all my nieces and nephews like Conor, Eliza, Addison, Alexandra, Jacob, and Jesse and his girlfriend Sara (thankfully my niece Sara was not in attendance just to confuse everyone more). And somehow WAYNE, youngest family member in attendance, escaped my shutterbug eye. So here's a shot of him 2 days later, on the eve of my departure to Montreal, a send-off BBQ with corn on the cob and all the works to go with it. And peach cobbler made by Darlene who also is in no photos! Sorry!
Here's Cole, working on his Statue-of-Liberty look.
Heather in one of Estelle's old t-shirts...
I boarded the plane and so enjoyed my anonymity and watched the films and ate my meal. I was not the "Woman with the Toddler". What a joy to travel like that!
But look who I returned to! And look at this photo and the previous one of Heather - are these girls cousins or what?
Lastly, despite my jetlag, this girl was ready to go the day I arrived at 7:30 a.m. after stepping out of a taxi.
All in all, what a lovely trip!
7 comments:
And absolutely lovely to have you here, Jules!! Lots of fun, and wonderful memories. You sure know how to pack it in.
The unamed woman is our friend Gina, from the famous ginamark band in these parts! Anyhoo...loved the hat and thank you so much for coming across the Atlantic! love you and miss you! Laura
When Wes and Wayne got home from Caitrin's wedding the next day, Wayne said, "I got to see a real live Crazy Man!" meaning the DJ. That was a great shot of him with your Mom.
All the pictures were fun to see.
I was packing yesterday and wishing you were here.
You are right, Julie, we do have lots of people with the same names in our family. I didn't really realize it until you started pointing it out!
Love the pictures of the two little girls both with their tongues sticking out!
just to reinforce the "duplicate name" problem...I now have to try to distinguish between Danny (Michael's stepfather) and Donny (Michael's father) whose middle name just happens to be "Wayne"!
xo la
This is Cousin Emily chiming in (Not Aunt Emilie). Her Michael also has a sister named Sara Elizabeth! Now how do you like that for confusing?
One other note on transporation: No longer would i recommend Chinatown Busses to anyone living in the US when you can take BOLT BUS - runs between Boston, NYC, and DC - for the same price (or less) and have free wireless internet. SOOO - the family can now work on their blogs as they stop off in each city to sightsee - i know there are open invitations in Boston with Anna, Me in NYC and Sara in DC to visit/couch surf :)
Nice pictures Julie ... good to see that the griddle is still being used for over 26 yrs. It was a wedding gift to C&M which we never had room for in our first home(trailer). Shadow Lake camp is perfect home for it.
Post a Comment