Sunday, March 08, 2009

Another Week Gone

This week brought a nice visit from Chantal, my friend from Amiens (north of Paris) and her grandsons Pierre and Paul. You met them in a blog post last August. I met her when I was chaperoning a middle school exchange before I even moved to France. They have an apartment in nearby Biot, famous for its pottery and blown glass works. Down on the coast for their school vacation, they came over on Wednesday afternoon for a nice play date with Estelle.
Here's Estelle pretending to cut Paul's hair.


The hair cutting was using forks from her kitchennette.
Pierre, 12 yrs old, captivated Estelle by drawing stories for her.

Last night I surprised Thomas by calling in the babysitter and going out. We joined Craig and Doug and another couple friends of theirs whom we know rather well for dinner in the very trendy Mougins village. Lots of laughs.

This morning we were at the beach at 10 a.m. with a thermos of tea, croissants and a "ficelle", like a baguette but smaller, thinner and made of flour that is less "doughy". I brought jams, yogurt and bananas and we baked in the sun for 45 minutes before we couldn't take it anymore.

Estelle enjoyed walking along the edge.

The old diving platform that is closed off but in summer the local boys swim to it and climb up the side of the rock to jump off. Terrifies me.
The beach was empty except for divers, swimmers and kayakers. Here you can see a man who just walked up out of the surf in a wet suit and peeled it down to his waist. He was like the Muckle Man crawling out of the sea. Impressive.

Lots of dumping of water. Meanwhile, does anyone else's husband wear a button-down oxford dress shirt to the beach on a Sunday morning?

Back at the ranch, some cooking to do.
Meanwhile, in pregnancy news, I have been not-so-gently encouraged to put my feet up to ensure I make it to 37 weeks. This was a hard pill to swallow but now after digesting it for a few days, I'm kinda looking forward to slowing down a bit earlier than I expected to! Let the "nesting" begin!
Here's Estelle and Thomas playing with blocks yesterday afternoon.

9 comments:

Sam, Jr. said...

We like Estelle's new hair cut. We also think that she looks so tall and thin in many of the pictures. She's growing up so!

Sam, Sr. likes to hear her speak French. Sam, Sr. says that she tries to understand it!

Sam, Jr. says that her husband also wears button down oxford shirts to the beach. Thomas is not the only one.

W,C,H said...

I agree, Estelle looks very tall. Wayne and Heather have had growth spurts recently. I've noticed that their pants are getting short!

Fun to see you all out enjoying the great weather. We have nice weather too, but lots of MUD and SLUSH.

I want to hear more about putting your feet up to make it to 37 weeks. Why?

Anonymous said...

That was so nice to watch that nice long video of Thomas and Estelle! I had noticed in one of the earlier photos that I thought she had a haircut!! So fun to hear her chatting away!! When she was doing all that stretching, I started to see her with long legs like you, Jules!!
Get those feet up!!!
SAM

Sandy Alexander said...

I hope you are feeling well and that you're able to make it tothe 37-week mark. When exactly would that be?
Frankly, all men should wear button-down Oxford shirts to the beach. Who wants to see those hairy chests and spoil your croissants? :-)
I love Estelle, she is just so adorable!

Anonymous said...

Somebody has a serious glow of impending motherhood. For reals!

Anonymous said...

It looks like Papa enjoyed building the towers as much as Estelle.

The beach sounds pretty good right now as the snow flies outside my window!

xo auntie laura

LG said...

Finally some preggers pics! You look great!
Hope all is well. Miss you guys--and the sun! Now that you've got your feet up and hopefully some free time, drop me a line. :)
Hope to hear from you soon,

Larissa xo

Karen said...

Jules - you look BEAUTIFUL!!! Get proper rest and relaxation - take care of yourself! I know, I know, easier said than done when you have others to take care of, but you must try :)!

Love,
Newcs

Anonymous said...

You're pregnant?