Yesterday my Aunt Eleanor died, having never recovered from a fall 5 weeks ago. Having lost her kidney and spleen, and other complications arising from her fall, it all proved too much. At almost 85 years, she certainly had a full, rich life.Below: a photo of my grandmother on the shore of Shadow Lake in Glover, holding Eleanor and my uncle Warren next to her. As someone on the edge of childbirth, I am moved by this photo of my grandmother as a young mother, and Eleanor, who was at great-grandmother two times over at her death yesterday, as just a young tot in her mom's lap; a whole life and decades of experiences to come unknown to her. Here she is just a girl by a lake, lovingly cradled.
My great-grandfather with Eleanor by his side, and that cherub-faced little boy hugging his knee would be my dad, my aunt Elaine the baby next to Warren.
Warren and Eleanor, up to trouble.
A long and lanky girl on a horse in a field in Glover, before the Depression robbed them of their farm and changed their lives forever.
The aspiring student - 8th grader and a spelling bee medal.
Here's my Dad rowing about Willoughby Lake with Ellie and my aunt Rebecca in between.
WWII brought an opportunity to serve and to be in the WAVES. Warren and Eleanor served, but my Dad and his flat feet (or was it a heart murmur) stayed behind.
The war brought Ellie in contact with her husband of 60+ years, my uncle Jake. Starlets from the beginning. Look at the romance in this young Post-War couple:
Ellie & Jake managed the Willoughvale Inn on Willoughby Lake for 9 summers. Here she is with the "Gap" behind.
How lucky her family was to get her out of the hospital for her last 4 days and nights, and to all be there with her. All my siblings in Vermont were able to see her one last time. The setting was all-too-familiar for them, so reminiscent of what we encountered 8 years ago right around now with my Dad.I am grateful for pickles and egg-salad sandwiches she served me in late October for lunch with Thomas and Estelle and the lemonade we enjoyed on her back porch. I remember fondly the frankness of her demeanor, her ability to quote poetry after being an English teacher for 2 decades. I recall the sugar-crystal edible egg and chick decoration she sent to us one Easter in the early 1970's, which my mother packed away in a box in the freezer to keep it beautiful and took it out each year at the end of Lent. Wes and I enjoyed licking it when no one was looking "The Ellie Egg", we called it.
As a college student and adult I benefited from many a lunch out courtesy of her and Jake, at nice restaurants or Jake's country club. Many a cool folded bill was slipped into my hand at the end of these encounters - "just a little something from Uncle Jake and me". Her generousity towards our large family has existed for decades and came in many shapes and sizes.
In the 90's and after the Millenium she worked a lot in a church charity shop and we all have many many gifts and treasures that she procured for us there. There have no material value but now that she is gone I see them as a symbol of how she always tried to give.
On the eve of my own labor, I struggle with distance and the sense of being far from where I might want to have been, though of course I should be, and am, where I ought to be.
Ironically in my nesting phase yesterday I found recent letters from her to me here. It is nice to have, to not forget her voice.
13 comments:
A very moving piece of writing. Sorry for your loss.
P
(misspelling in that last comment, thus deleted)
Anyway, what I was trying to say is that the resemblance between you and your grandmother (in that second photo) is amazing. Amazing!
Beautiful, Julie.
We will all miss her and all her kindness and caring for her family. As she told Mary at Christmas, she is proud most of three things in her life: her family, her teaching and her dancing with Jake! (if only you had a photo of that ballroom dancing!)
Last Friday at her home I saw the most beautiful photo of her and Jake at Willoughby- it could have been on the cover of some Hollywood movie star magazine from the 1940s...both looking like starlets!
Remember that 50th anniversary party they hosted at the inn in Greensboro, where she requested we all sing 'Row Row Row your boat...merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream."
(Just for the record, that rowboat picture is on Crystal Lake, not Willoughby).
One early memory of mine was when I was maybe in 6th or 7th grade, and we were all having a family picnic at Aunt Bessie's camp during thier vacation there. Deb had dished up some corn and put it in a green stoneware bowl. Things were hectic with lots of kids everywhere in a tiny camp kitchen, and Ellie stopped to comment; "Oh, Debbie, that looks so nice, with the yellow against the green." It was the first time I ever thought about food presentation!
She always asked how teaching was going, and what were you reading. After retirement, She and Jake always went to the movies and she stayed up to date on what was worth seeing.
After Dad died, Ellie spoke of hoping for a sign from Dad, and loved to hear our stories of dreams of Dad that we had.
I brought a little bouquet of some beautiful spring bush with little purple waxy fragrant buds that grows in my yard, wrapped in a copy of the sheet music "All those endearing young charms" that Ellie had Mary and Mart sing at Gram's funeral. I wished I could have remembered the lines of poetry Deb had quoted last Friday, ones that just days before Ellie had quoted from memory...but I couldn't remember, so brought that music to honor her with.
Joanie
What I forgot to say is that I brought the flowers to Ellie's gravestone at Westlook cemetery in Glover yesterday. Quite a few years ago, even before Dad died, she and Jake had a stone erected. If I remember right, Ellie really sort of wanted one of those beautiful Victorian angels, but they were way too costly, so she settled for an obelisk instead, and it is a beauty, stately and tall, as she was!
J.
Thanks for a great tribute Julie. Shortly before her fall, she sent me a post card "Thank You" in the mail for a little bottle of syrup I gave her in January. She has been so kind and generous to so many of us, and yet always the first person to say "thanks" for anything. We had a sad visit to her tombstone today.-Wes
Those old photos are beautiful memories. And Ellie was certainly beautiful herself! I don't think I've seen any of those pictures of her so young.
I know you always feel torn at times like this, about being so far away, but I personally have always admired the huge effort you made to see your aunts, namely Ellie, everytime you were in Vermont.
Like Cole said yesterday, "Well, it's sad, but at least she can go see Grampie now. She'll probably like THAT!"
We'll miss her.
Julie, I was all done crying after talking with Elaine and you, but those beautiful photos of young and healthy, strong and tall Ellie, got me going again!! She was a remarkable woman and aunt!! She always wrote in a distinctive way, with a black felt tip, and bragged about my "dear, beautiful, talented kids". If it is any sign from Dad, the background music you played in your blog was one of my George Winston "labor music" I played during my labor in the hospital. Maybe there WILL be a baby tomorrow after all! Love, Mart
Hi Julie!
I really enjoyed your tribute to Ellie. I loved the music and also the pictures were so nice and everything you wrote about her.
Thank you so much!
Love, Mom
Julie - what a beautiful tribute to an obviously beautiful person. I am very sorry for your loss.
Love,
Newcs
Julie, you look exactly like your grandmother, so beautiful!
What a wonderful tribute to Aunt Ellie, Julie.
I loved all the pictures of Ellie from young to old. I do agree that Jake and Ellie made a dashing young couple!
Here's hoping Ellie's family can find peace and comfort in knowing they gave her the best care possible those last weeks.
We love our Aunt Ellie!
Lisa
What beautiful pictures Jules! Aunt Ellie was quite a strong and interesting woman. Hard shoes to fill. Nothing prepares you for the loss of a parent, even when you know it's coming, it is a terrible lonliness.
I believe that she is with dad now and all that have gone on before her...to see the face of Jesus.
May her memory be eternal! (laura)
Post a Comment