Sunday, May 03, 2009

Léna

Léna Eleanor Andrée Ouillade was born Tuesday April 28th at 2:54 p.m. here in Nice.
We arrived at the hospital at 2:18, I was down in the delivery room at 2:20, and 34 minutes later she was out. Holy cow, fastest birth this side of the Mississippi. Needless to say, no time for an epidural. OUCH. Good gravy, did it hurt. But man oh man it was fast and over with before you can say (in French) "where the hell is my epidural"? I was too busy saying "Where the hell is my husband?" Who was upstairs parking the car and handing over the paperwork and almost missed the whole thing. My obstetrician also arrive 2 minutes too late, and only got to deliver the placenta. Which, p.s. I insisted on have a look-see at. Here's me ordering somebody around a shortly after my Express Birth.

I have spent 5 days and nights in the hospital and just was released home today. I am thrilled to be home and so thankful for my long stay in the Clinique which allowed me to get my breastfeeding on the right track, which was not easy. Had a 36 hour window where things were pretty tricky with engorgement, cracking, you name it. But Léna (pronounced "Layna") gained back a lot of weight yesterday so we are on the road to success!
Here's Thomas giving the initial bath:

In this next photo he may look calm, but he just about passed out when it all happenned so fast. Plus I was literally screaming my head off which kinda freaked him out, understandably!
The bath:
Smile and say "No Epidural!"
This contraption below was my best friend for about 36 hours in the hospital - a suction breast pump that operated like a central vacuum. This thingy saved the day!

Here's Thomas visiting in the evening one time:
This morning (Sunday) getting ready to leave the Clinique, finally! My room was 163, a number I'll remember forever!

Bringing Baby Home, with a very proud and curious big sister.
Here I am after a great nap in my own bed, having my 4:00 cuppa tea (Amen!) just the way I like it with some lemon meringue tart and beautiful flowers sent by Thomas' parents.
Estelle is VERY interested in anything about Léna.....


To be continued!!!!!! Let the fun begin.........

19 comments:

Sam, Sr. said...

We're enjoying the pictures of Lena, Estelle, you, and Thomas. I think she looks like Estelle and of course, she's a lot heavier than Estelle, but Lena sure isn't!

Love, Mom

Sam, Jr. said...

Well, well, well! I am just delighted to see pictures of the happy family! Lena is just precious and I can't wait to get my hands on her in just three weeks time! What a beautiful baby!

Julie, you look wonderful having just given birth! I wonder if they let you keep your earrings on the entire time.

Thomas looks like a very experienced bath giver. I bet he is much more relaxed the second time aroung.

I loved the picture of Estelle holding Lena's hand. Just precious.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Love, Lisa

Aimee said...

Wow! What an experience! Congratulations on the new beautiful baby!

Lil' Martha said...

I think Lena has your ski jump nose, Julie. She is absolutely adorable, and looks tiny next to Estelle who looks like she is in her glory!! You and Thomas look too beautiful, having just had a baby, and little sleep!! Must be that Nice sunshine!! Glad the nursing is going great! Can't wait for a movie of her and Estelle!! Love, Martha

W,C,H said...

SO happy to see pictures of Lena and the rest of the proud, happy family. She is very beautiful.

Estelle is going to be a terrific big sister, I can tell. She reminds me of Wayne when Cole was born - always holding his hand and kissing the top of his head.

Julie, nice to see you looking relaxed with your tea.

Sandy Alexander said...

Oh, I LOVE her!
Thanks for posting pictures, I have been anxiously waiting to catch a glimpe of this beautiful girl.
I'm glad nursing is going well, although I looked at that "industrial pump" picture from every angle and it still just looks like an IV to me....hmmm....
I agree that Lena looks a lot like Estelle- same adorable chin.
This will be a fun and exciting time for Estelle to get to know her little sister- she will be a wonderful big sister!!!
Love,
Sandy
p.s. Nice receiving blanket- isn't it so soft?

Sandy Alexander said...

congratulations Julie and Thomas.
Beautiful little baby girl.
Well done Julie Louise, way to keep this birthing process fast and simple. Love to you all, Edwin

Helene said...

Congratulations !
I like the name ;-)
She's came so fast ! Now starts a new life at 4 !
Helene

Unknown said...

Good work Julie and Thomas. Now life gets interesting. Dick and Marcie

Karen said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! She is BEAUTIFUL. Can't wait to talk to you.

Much love,
Newcs, Mitch, Tyler & Evan

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jules et Thomas!! (and big sister Estelle!)
The baby looks a lot like Estelle I think!
These are very special moments for you all! xo
Auntie Laura

Anonymous said...

Magnifique ! Elle est belle. Thomas ne semble pas calme, il ressemble à ce temps dans le pub de Knowlton après le jeu de football ! - Oncle Wes

Unknown said...

Oh Julie! Congratulations!! She's absolutely beautiful! Bises to you, Thomas, Estelle and Lena!

Anonymous said...

HI Jules, Thomas, Estelle and Lena,
I loved seeing photos of you all, and I think Lena is just absolutely beautiful!! Julie, you look so much like Lisa with your bangs to the side...and you looked so good, it was hard to believe you had just been screamin'!!Love to you all!!
SAM

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Julie, Thomas, Estelle and Léna!! We are so thrilled for you.
xoxo
Jeri and Gordon

Larissa said...

Congrats!!!! Laurent and I send our love to all of you!
You look great, Léna is beautiful!
Gros bisous,

Larissa and Laurent xox

Caitrin said...

Wow, she is so beautiful! I love the full head of hair! CONGRATS you guys, I cannot believe that you had her w/o drugs. Ouch! I am going to stop thinking about it now...it will give me nightmares =) I hope you are doing well and everything with Lena is going smoothly. I can't wait to meet her someday, I will try to be patient, I know that it will probablly be a while till then, but I love looking at the pics that you put up, put up more when you get time, if you have any at this point. xoxo- Caitrin

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo, congrats Jules, T and E!
Glad to hear and see the news.
Stay sane and don't sleep too much- ha.
-Bec

huffy_henry said...

What? 34 minutes of delivery?! I TAKE SHOWERS LONGER THAN THAT.

XO to all four of you.

-Peter