Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Palms, Play

Two days ago was Palm Sunday, as many people may realize. It's one of the longer services when the "Passion" is read. We did go into church to observe part of the service but I knew Estelle wouldn't last so we graciously bowed out. In front of the church, like all the churches, you saw this on Sunday:Tables with braided palms for sale. Some of the braidings were very large and elaborate. We bought the cheapest ones, a cross and a star. Together they cost me 9 euros, which is a little over 12 bucks. Thems some pricey palms!

Now back home (did I just write "back home"? like John-Boy?) we had palms too on Palm Sunday but I don't ever recall seeing these shapes made from the palms. But look at the detail in the braiding.....
As you can see below, they're quite small...
From what has been explained to me, you purchase them, take them in to the mass, get them blessed during the Passion, then keep them at home for a year. I remember braiding my palm sitting on that hard pew throughout the mass. That was fun, I always enjoyed it. In any event, Estelle was very intrigued with the whole thing. Below, she sat right down in the man's chair and tried to encourage other people to come over and check out the goods.
In other news, today after school 2 little girls played "kitchen" together in a sun-filled room. Léna pulled herself up to a cooking position.
Could Estelle's legs look any longer? Lordy.
She was pretty excited to be manning the dishwasher.

Later on, Estelle enjoyed feeding Léna. The fun never ends!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How interesting to see the tables filled with palms outside of the church. It looked like they had other greens besides palms, too.

It was fun to see Lena standing up against the toy kitchen and the two girls playing together. Lena looks so big standing up. I agree Estelle's legs look so long!

W,C,H said...

Estelle looks like a teenager sprawled out in that chair with those long legs. Lena looks thrilled to be standing and playing like a big girl. Wow.

I like your braided palms. Seems like all we ever get here is a long spindly leaf of palm.

Anonymous said...

Mom can't get over the pics of Lena standing!! (She predicts she'll be walking soon, but "sometimes they don't")I love her chubby little legs!! And don't Estelle's legs look long!!
I loved the braided palms, and the pic of Estelle sitting at the vendor's table. Those palms are worth every penny.
Love the pics, what cutie pies!!
SAM