Sunday, April 18, 2010

LICE

Nope, not kidding.
I want to hear it all, advice, tips, things I should do. You got something to help me, share it now!
Just discovered it. Heading out to try to find something open now and get whatever it is I will need. And here we were just thinking how nice it is that finally her locks are long enough to do something with...argh argh.

8 comments:

W,C,H said...

Good luck with that! I'm happy to say that's one childhood problem we haven't experienced - YET! Never a dull moment, huh?

Sam, Jr. said...

Let's see. Start with the bottle of special shampoo. Seems like I not only washed Emily's hair, but all the family's hair, including mine.

Then, wash and dry all the bedding in the hottest water possible. Because I know she likes to crawl in bed with Thomas on the weekends, I would do your bedding as well.

You will have to go to the laundromat to dry the bedding.

All of her stuffed animals need to be washed, if possible. If not, put them in a big plastic garbage bag and tie the top shut. Put it in some inaccessible place and leave it untouched for a month.

Sterilize all her brushes and combs. Wash any hats she wears.

Vacuum the couch, mattress, and any upholstered furniture. There is even some spray you can get for upholstered furniture. I would even do her car seat and the car upholstery where she sits.

It is not fun, but something we all have to endure it seems.

My heart goes out to you.

Sam, Jr. said...

Forgot to mention the nit picking comb. That's an important step after you shampoo. Takes forever, but necessary.

Anonymous said...

I know that the shampoo is very strong and maybe you should consult with the dr. before using on Lena. I have also heard mayonaisse suffocates them, or going swimming in a chorline pool kills them.
I am so sorry.
sam

Sandy Alexander said...

Oh NO! On top of everything else your family has been through in the past weeks. I, of course, have no advice but am interested to hear everything you end up doing...and what you think worked. Good luck.

Fransiska said...

What??? Is it from the ecole des champs?
I am so not visiting you this week!!!
Remember I still have your present at home..

By the way if it's really bad, I can cut Estelle's hair if you don't dare doing it :-)

BTW i like the mayonaise tip, much more fun the shampoo.

But seriously, I hope you get it under control soon without too much head scratching...

Caitrin said...

You should get in touch with my mother, I am sure she has many tips from when we caught it at school growing up. I can remember she made the three of us kids one by one lay across the kitchen counter so she could wash our hair out in the sink with that nasty shampoo. I found this link that might help:
http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/bbreastfeed/0,,3x18,00.html
I would ask Lena's pediatrician before using it on her. Good luck, I feel for you!!! Hope you don't have to cut anyone's hair!

Mlle Gocentas said...

I had SEVERAL outbreaks in my class in the past couple years! So sorry you have them! :( To make you feel better when I was little my hair was down to my BUTT when I got lice! We didn't cut it, my poor mom picked them all out!!!!

I don't know if you'll find it in France, but a parent told me that putting 10-12 drops of TEA TREE oil into your regular shampoo works as a prevention. You can also use it in your laundry to help kill lice on bed sheets and clothing.
Good luck!
Miss you!
Larissa