There was apparently a "suggestion box" at GE, and people could earn prize money based on their suggestions and how much those suggestions would/could save the company down the line. Dad came up with an idea to perfect the way they were testing something at the plant and eliminate a whole production step. He got a check for 620 bucks. In 1952, that was a LOT of money. It was also the most money that anyone had ever been awarded for any prize .
In the article above, they note other winners in 1952, of amounts of 100 dollars. 620 sure must have seemed like winning the lottery! The text also states that "Alexander hopes to use part of the money to continue his education in electronics, he aspires to an Electrical Engineering degree". I just found out last night that GE wanted to pay for him to get that degree. He in fact started taking classes, but he "couldn't hack it". It was too passive for him, sitting there being the student, he probably didn't like not being able to run the show. Go figure.
Part of GE's effort to encourage his ascension in the ranks was to put him in a Dale Carnegie public speaking course. Wasted money. No need for that class, where the outcome was slightly difference than the other classes - in between the encyclopedias next to our family piano was a small gold-plated cup on a little marble stand - First Prize. Rumor has it his speech that won was "inappropriate" in the sense it was "off-topic". But still won!Above: another publicity photo in one of the GE magazines a few years later in 1958, showing Dad running the show at a GE Engineering party that GE paid for and Dad hosted (I bet Mom had something to do with it too). I think he looks young in that photo, but the stretch of his arm, the way he holds up the bucket just so at the right angle, his crooked elbow - is the same as the man I dearly knew decades later.
This last scanned clip above is just part of the text that goes along with the photo. Notice they mark the "tobacco chewing of the boiler". I think they considered him a bit "off-topic", but certainly interesting.So what happened to that 620 dollar check? Family legend has it that they bought a new crib, and Mom's Singer sewing machine, which is still alive and well. 9 years later, we wish he was too.
6 comments:
Julie, a great tribute to Dad!!
I think he would be happy to know that after 2 years of being plugged up, the water is again running out of the pipe at Runaway Pond. Royce Conley came this morning and with a big compressor, freed the line! It is great to see it running again.
Julie, I think Mom was in the hospital after Laura's birth when that sugaring party happened!
SAM
Way to go Julie....I had my good cry on this "sentimential journey". Your last line was the "ringer"! We all miss dad dearly!
Love,
Mary :)
Mother,Laura and Martha (lil') are at the saltbox house snuggled on the couch, we were all teared up with this special rememberance of Dad. Mother would like to "set the record straight" about a few details.
1. Mom thinks that Dad also received around $200.more because the idea was so valuable to GE.
2. The winning were spent on large crib(who knew it would be needed for twins later!), a playpen, a Singer sewing machine that is still in excellent condition, a set of sharp knives.
3.The Dale Carnige Contest: Daddy picked the topic, How to Cook Corn. Mom thinks he had 3 minutes and that he talked about running to get the corn from the garden and then you run back and get it into the boiling water. He came in second because he went over his time. He said, "I know that I've gone over my allotted time of three minutes but.'(No one ever tells Dad to stop talking!) Mom doesn't think it was anything "inappropriate."
4. Mom believes that during the sugaring party, she had just come home the day before with a newborn (Laura). The party had already been scheduled so "Damn the Torpedoes" (not mom's words!-remember Laura & Martha are here!..no wine yet it's only 1:15!)
Thank you Julie for remembering Dad today (from MOM)
Thank you Louise for sharing the photos with your special writing gift. (from Laura)
Daddy, I hope there's Red Man in heaven! (from Mart)
ps. having a little trouble on Lisa's laptop with the little red mouse!!
Lisa writes from Sara's apartment:
Today I lit a memorial candle in the National Cathedral in Washington DC in Dad's honor. I was moved to tears and used Dad's cloth handkerchief that I always keep in my purse to dry my eyes. I felt very connected to Dad.
That was nice, Julie. A lot of "new information" for this number 10. Next week he would have been 84. That doesn't seem that old, really. I sure wish like you and all of us that we could have spent some more time with our dad. In some ways the nine years feels like 90. Thanks for the nice memories and pictures. -WWA
What a sweet way to remember your father... it was fun for me to learn more about him today. Thanks Julie!
Post a Comment