
Wednesday was Thomas' 33rd birthday. In the afternoon, before swimming lessons, we made him a chocolate tart. I only had one "3" so had to fudge the second number.
Pierre offered to babysit so we could go out.

Funnily enough, when he arrived, Estelle noticed that on Pierre's shirt were "two threes, just like Daddy's birthday". A coincidence!

The restaurant we went to (around the block) used to be just a "cave" (wine shop) and now has been totally remodeled and is also "dégustation" (tasting/eating). There are 5 tables and the owner, who is an oenologue (wine specialist, with years of schooling) serves you the Plat du Jour and selects glasses of wine to accompany.

Charcuterie (smoked meats from Italy) are a focus of this place and you nibble on them to go with your wine. In the middle of the floor is this massive hand-operated meat slicer, which can be rolled up to your table. He explained that an electric blade would have the negative effect of getting warm, which melts the fat on the charcuterie- indesirable effect.

It is very modern - one wall is alive, literally.

The next morning, no mercy. Both girls awoke around 6 a.m. (strike day AGAIN, no school for Estelle). So Estelle wanted to have an oatmeal picnic in the living room.


On Fridays I stay home with Léna. Yesterday she helped with the laundry.

Here's a little video of nothing, just eating.
9 comments:
The wine cave must have been exciting! Not sure about that slab of meat brought to your table, but
what an experience! Love the wall of ? moss. Did you get to have cheese with your wine, or just meat? Like the wine the best! Loved the smile on Lena. She is eating so well from the spoon!
Finally catching up on your last 4 blogs Jules...
The girls are adorable, the food looks fabulous (that ricotta dish made my mouth water), and happy belated B.day to Thomas (33 sound so young)
Love,
Mary
HI Jules,
what were those little crudites (?) next to the tart---fruit on celery? Peapods? I am trying to figure them out!
I think that even tho Lean's new teeth have not come in, her hair sure has grown since that hiarcut when you got back to France...lovely to see you all in the pics and videos. I am still checking emails only at the library, so don't always see them in a timely manner or have time to respond. But I do love seeing them!!
SAM
Joan, it is endive spread with Boursin and then topped by either cherry tomatoes or grated carrots that are in a vinagrette (I bought those ready-made, didn't grate them myself!). They were fresh and crunchy and I invented it on the spot that night. Thomas and Pierre ate the whole plate of them.
Lena sure is a cutie!
Glad Thomas and you had a dinner out to celebrate him turning 33.
Too many big foreign words for me in this post, but Happy Belated Birthday to Thomas, and I too love the moss wall. Maybe I'll try that.
Lena is adorable in the laundary basket.
Hmmm...I am thinking that if I had moss on my walls, I could cut down on time spent scrubbing dirty little fingerprints off the walls. In fact, maybe I should also let moss grow on the doors and windows. I think I'm onto something here.
p.s. Happy Birthday Thomas!
Lena is doing great eating with a spoon, with or without 4 teeth!
Happy B'day Thomas!
xo laura
Post a Comment