Tuesday, February 01, 2011

The Terrible Twos

Yesterday I was folding some clothes in the other room for 10 mins, and when I came around the corner, this is what I found:
At 21 months, this child is really starting to take on a life of her own:

Last night she somehow got a hold of a Sharpie. After much screaming (me), I spent 3 hours using various solutions I had read about on the internet to try and save my very-much-not-cheap living room rug and couch upholstery. It was an unpleasant evening. But Evil Knievil cared not, there was ground to cover. Naked.
Meanwhile, Estelle remains not only in good health (despite everyone around her being sick) but also a very patient and helpful big sister.
Today when they came home after school they set up a little cozy reading station (notice the lack of slipcover on my couch - it had been drying since last night's post-triage treatment).


Notice the smile on one and the look of almost-2-yr-old defiance on the other.

Vermont is on a weather warning, but also a hide-your-Sharpies warning.
Below: quiet time (sort of) with books and a CD that has a mix of English and French children's nursery rhymes. I translate the French one at one point.

5 comments:

Sam, Jr said...

I love the phrase "the triage treatment" that you referred to for your couch disaster! That made me laugh! Yes, I will be hiding my sharpies during your time in New Hampshire!

It is nice to see the girls sitting so quietly enjoying their books and music.

Ah, the terrible twos. I remember them well!

Anonymous said...

"lice beard" for a song?? what about teaching them, "John Brown's body lies a-mouldering in the grave" ????
Thanks for the cute video!
I thought that Estelle handled it really well when Lena stole her book! :)
auntie laura

Lil' Martha said...

Julie, Lena's couch is her canvas!! As Daddy would say, "Forget about it!" I will have coloring books ready for them, but if they sharpie my couch, it might look better than it does!! I was impressed on how intent and quiet the girls were, reading until Lena didn't get her way! Welcome to independance!!! How about "the worms crawl in , the worms crawl out.. they play pinicole on your snout!" I guess just has bad as the lice beard, and John Brown!

W,C,H said...

Just so you know - Wayne's terrible two's started when he was 18 mos. and lasted until he was 5 and 1/2. Not that it will happen to you...

Joanie once told me that toothpaste gets out permanent marker.

Anonymous said...

Mom had told me about this video and the book sharing episode...I finally got to watch it...are these two bugaboos coming soon to my house? I am sure they will never have even the tiniest disagreement!!
The song about the lice beard man...too funny!!
SAM