Sunday, August 28, 2011

Volcano Visit

We're fresh off 2 weeks in Calvinet - but before selecting a few shots from the 250 taken, this first post is focused on a 2-day getaway Thomas and I had in....volcano land.
Just an hour or so north of Calvinet is France's national park of the Auvergne volcanos- quite famous. The Puy Mary, where you see these photos, is 1787 metres up (5,860 ft). Not so shabby.
So where we were was the original epicenter of the crater (or something) and the lava made 4 valleys in all directions.
Thomas, barely, made it to the top. Reason = vertigo. My husband, Mr. Sports, was like a weak kitten, in total panic mode. It was borderline funny, only because we were surrounded by many other tourists so I knew we were safe.




Here's Thomas saying "Get me off this Volcano, I can't take it anymore".



It was really beautiful. It was more beautiful than Vermont. Coming from me, that's saying a lot.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jules, you have to get on top of more mountains in Vt...you have forgotten how beautiful they are!! Glad you got to see this beautiful place! Glad Thomas is back in lower altitudes...now I know why you live at sea level!!
Miss you all,
SAM

Aunt Lisa said...

Incredible pictures, Julie! It looks just beautiful!

More beautiful than Vermont is hard to believe!

Lil' Martha said...

Atleast Thomas made it to the top! Chris cannot handle heights, so Thomas would have been in good company! Glad you got your 2 day "retreat!". Welcome back to Nice!

Laura Geigle said...

I'm prone to vertigo as well but that place looks so incredible!

W,C,H said...

The panoramic view is beautiful. Glad Thomas survived.