This morning Léna said she didn't want to go to ski. When I asked why, she replied: "Well, I might have to pee." She went anyways and had a good time.
When Thomas and I started out to ski today, we ran into Estelle out with her group.
When Thomas and I arrived at the mid-low-base of the mountain to get back on the lift, lo and behold there was Estelle and her group.
Check me out, Mom. I'm up here where you and Dad are.
Today we had lunch at a restaurant, outside on the terrace in the sun. After, Thomas took Estelle out on the slopes for her first real skiing experience, wearing no pinney, and not with her coach. He took her all the way up to the top on the mountain on the chairlift, and she skied all the way down, by herself, with him behind but no help from him, never fell. I find this amazing. The child has been on skis a total of 12.5 hours of her life.
Meanwhile, how to keep Her Highness occupied while Daddy & Estelle are up the mountain:

Here's the paper-maché King which was going to be burned late in the afternoon.

Is anyone else reminded of Bob Dog from Mr. Rogers when you look at this photo?

Finally we looked over and there came Estelle & Thomas on their way back: strangely you must take a short T-bar to get back up to the station from the bottom of the mountain.

So comfortable she can wave. I can barely keep standing up on those dang things.
Meanwhile:

When we got back at 4:30, it was time to make some crepes.

Nothing like raclette!
This is what happened in the afternoon after Day One of skiing:
A few photos from Sunday afternoon when it snowed, snowed, snowed. We had just picked up the rental skis and the girls tried them on in the yard. We dragged them around.
Much fun to be had in the snow in the yard:

I heard Léna over on the swing murmuring something over and over. When I went up to her, I realized she was singing a little ditty Martha made up last summer: "Léna likes to swing, swing, swing, Léna likes to swing, yes she does. Up to the blue sky down to the green grass up to the blue sky, down to the green grass." (we changed it to 'down to the white snow')
![]() | |
| Here's another favorite pasttime: drinking hot chocolate. |













5 comments:
Incredible how great the girls and you have done on skis! That is so great that Estelle went so far with Thomas....wonderful!!
Love seeing it all...glad you are having such fun experiences and delicious food!!!
A great week!!
SAM
Thanks for sharing your beautiful and fun ski vacation! I am so impressed with how fast Estelle and Lena have caught on to skiing, and that they got to see you and Thomas ski too! Love that Lena remembers her swing song, which I sang to my own kids when they were young, too! Can I fly over for Raclette!! Yummy!
I missed the daily post...hope Thursday was a great day!!
SAM
It looks as if you are all having such a nice time! Can't believe both you AND Estelle can ski all the way down the mountain.
Looks so cozy and warm with all of you sitting around the table eating dinner!
Estelle, great job with your skiing. Now Heather wants to learn to ski too! Lena, I understand your problem about being all suited up and then having to pee. It's a big problem for three and four-year-old kids. I have to deal with that situation every day at preschool.
Post a Comment