Monday, February 25, 2013

First Day Skiing!

 Today was Day One of ski lessons.  11:00 - 1:30.  Above:  Estelle maneouvers a slight incline.  (she fell shortly after I took this photo).  Below, about 90 minutes later, you can see Estelle lower left, in red/white, heading left, next to girl w/pink pants (strangely that girl is named Léna).
 Below:  The REAL and one and only Léna, who survived her first day.  She did great, though was crying at the end because she saw me get Estelle first as I couldn't get thru the mob of parents to her right away.  She was tired enough to let that push her over the edge and was crying by the time I got back to her.   When I said "Why are you crying?"  she wailed back "I WANT TO GO TO A RESTAURANT!"
 Once the girls were safely into their lessons, I put on my rented equipment and got myself a 5-day (student price!) pass and off I went, first time in 8 years.  After going down the same trail that Estelle's group was on and using the (I don't even know what it's called in English????  T-bar?  J'bar or something like that) "tire-fesses" (literally:  "buttcheek puller"), I decided I was ready to go higher:
 With my handy laminated little minimap in my pocket, off I went on another tire-fesses which brought me to a 4-person chairlift and with some major terrified trepidation, off I went.
 Totally worth it.  The views were amazing.  I stayed on only one huge green trail that took me all the way down, and then it was time to get the girls.   
Thomas left this a.m. at 7:00 to head back to Sophia to work today and tomorrow.  He'll come back up tomorrow night and stay thru til Saturday.  I look forward to skiing with him - though I totally enjoyed being on my own today, even tho I only skied for an hour.  Conditions were perfect.

5 comments:

W,C,H said...

Beautiful pictures. What a great vacation for you guys.

Lil' Martha said...

Stunning views!! So proud of you, daring to go up by yourself, and hoping to find green trails, thank God. At Cochrans, the butt cheek thing is called the T bar, and the mighty mite, or carrot stick, is the rope with orange bars that stick out for kids to grab and get pulled up the hill! So happy for the girls to get to ski!

Laura Geigle said...

So happy for you and your family! So Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Proud of you all, and glad Thomas gets to come back soon!!
How great!! And it is really only 45 min from Nice??
The girls look like they are having a blast, learning lots, and I loved Lena's "demand!"
Thanks for the beautiful photos, Jules!

Aunt Lisa said...

I am so impressed with all three of you! Estelle looked comfortable. Lena looked like I would have at that age - ready for a break and food! And you, well, you are much braver than me! I would just ridden up and down on that chair lift just to see that beautiful view!