Sunday, May 10, 2009

It Ain't Mother's Day Over Here

Today is just May 10th in France.
But in the USA it's Mother's Day!
Everybody knows that my mom has had more children than probably anyone you (or I, for that matter) have ever met personally in your life (special nod to my Quebecoise grandmother, mom's mother, who had 19 births, yes, I said 19, but I never met her).

So everyone should feel free to write a comment on today's blog to say hi to my mom and share your admiration with her/of her, remembering that she is:
Mother to 11 children
Bearer of 9 pregnancies
Raiser of TWO sets of twins, back-to-back, and
The meanest pie maker I've ever come across.
She has only one vice - Frank Sinatra. And perhaps fine chocolate.
Go ahead, make my Mom's day....

8 comments:

W,C,H said...

Not a day has gone by in the past 7 1/2 years that I have not thought of Martha raising 11 kids and wondered how in God's name she did it. And did it so well.
I've seen pictures of her in the thick of it looking like a movie star, while I, with only 3 kids seldom even take a shower and often forget to brush my teeth. She deserves to be treated like a queen - everyday, not just on Mother's Day.

Lil'Martha said...

Mom, you make Frankie look like chopped liver!! You are pate du fois grois! (sp!) We love you dearly and appreciate all the sacrifices you made to make us happy, healthy, and most importantly loved. Happy Mother's Day! Love, Lil' Martha, who although I am your "name sake" I am no where near as neat as you!!

Sam, Jr. said...

Each time I had a child (three times total) and I was up in the night trying to get a baby to go back to sleep, I would think of my mother and wonder... how the heck did she ever do it!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

As one of those lucky 11 children, a huge thankyou and love to you, Mom!!!
Love, Joanie

Caitrin said...

Happy mother's day to Grammie & also to Julie!!! Love you both & hope you are well.

~Caitrin

Jane Curran said...

One of my earliest recollections of Mrs. Alexander is sitting at her huge kitchen table eating a snack (pie ... I think strawberry rhoubarb)with my new high school friend, Julie. Julie looked at me with bewilderment and said, "... you mean, your mother doesn't have a pastry day?????" Her pies were delicious that day, and I enjoyed many more visits to that kitchen table. Happy Mother's Day, to the Matriarch of the Alexander family.

Anonymous said...

"A mother is a person who, seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie." –Tenneva Jordan

Things my mother taught me: How to eat up leftovers, how to darn a sock (who does that anymore!), how to appreciate berries, how to jig to music while doing the dishes, how to shop frugally, how to read to children, how to cradle a baby, how to always set the table with all the silverware even if you will not be needing the spoon, etc, how to be faithful, how to sacrifice and how to love unconditionally. I am still learning from you mum. You are a very special mother! xo laura

huffy_henry said...

You forgot that she is also staggeringly charming!