Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Elfin Magic

The 1967 Barbara Steisand Christmas Album is, quite frankly, right up there in the top 10. Say what you will about Babs, but in the late 60's, she was a Diva before anybody knew what that was (save Judy Garland). The song "Best Gift" on that record is all about the greatest present you might get any year....here's ours:
Okay enough of that saccharine. Back to my usual tone: Here's Thomas embarking on a Christmas craft with Estelle that involves building a creche out of inverted cereal boxes and dis-assembled wooden clothes pins. So far the project has spanned 2 weekends, and the fat lady hasn't sung yet, neither!
It's messy, there's glue and spray snow and bits all over, it won't stay up, but I've been loving every second of watching because it reminds me of many many years of holiday crafts from seasonal magazines under the watchful eye of all my siblings, notably Joan. Yet I still can't sew. Where did things goes wrong with sister #6? (who's kidding who, Mary and Laura can't amount to much behind the pedal either, though they'll object - p.s. Laura, filling a bobbin does NOT count).
Above: Note the beer Thomas has next to him to ease him thru the project.
Below: The rainbow pyjamas are BACK.
Here's the tree pre-decoration.
And post! If only I had the 17 boxes of my Xmas stuff currently sitting in Joan's wood bin. Dang. Note the tree is stuck in a semi-block of wood. Tree stands = WHAT? No one has heard of them over here. Seems the motto is: let your tree wither away, needles falling daily. No one minds. What? Put it in WATER? You lunatic American, they say. I just sigh. I'm thinking of dumping out my Febreeze bottle and spritzing it with water thrice daily. Ma, I know you love a watered tree, what say you?
Close your eyes and I'm SURE you can hear that Barbara Streisand song!

Not to be outdone, Her Highness wants to be just as cute.

Tonight, in the bath: Stick with it, there's a few choice bits. I was on a roll until my darn phone rang and I had to silently yell "cut" to myself. Rats!

p.s. that phone ringing, was him. Checking in. Cause despite the jokes, he is of course a great dad.

9 comments:

W,C,H said...

Pictures of both girls in the santa hat and you: you all look like you're up to mischeif.

I hope Thomas is having more patience with with his craft project than I did with the gingerbread house.

Anonymous said...

Yikes, I love the looks of that construction project! (I would love to get my hands on the magazine, which I think I spotted there on the table, spread open to the project directions!)
Julie, how about just sliding a pan of water under that block of wood holding the tree up? I bet the water would soak through the wood and give the tree some drink.
Julie you look so much like Lisa in that first photo!!
I love seeing the pictures of you all!!!

Sam, Jr. said...

I accidentally typed Grammie's comment to Elfin Magic blog in the Old Dan Tucker blog. So, Julie, you will have to go back to the earlier blog to read what Grammie has to say.

Sam, Jr. said...

Julie, Mom thinks you are getting as funny as Peter and Paul!

Sam, Jr. said...

I loved the pictures of all the girls with the Santa hat on.

I thought in a close up of the creche project one of the boxes looked like it was being turned into a birdhouse! Was I hallucinating or what?

Sandy Alexander said...

Haha........I love this post! The video is so funny, I'm still laughing. "Let's see...Mommy did....nothing!"
Dare I say Lena looks quite long-legged in the video? not sure if it's water diffraction (is that the right term?) or if she truly is sprouting Estellesque bean poles from her pudgy little hips!

Sandy Alexander said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lil' Martha said...

Julie, don't get mad, get even!! Maybe Movie on Monday, dance on Tuesday, Theater on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and saying the rosary on Sunday!! Hee Hee. I think you are really using your theater degree with your side comments on tape!! Too funny! Lena is so happy and content in the bath tub! Can't figure out what the clothespins are for, but the project Estelle is working on looks like fun!! Oh, to have little ones for Christmas. What fun!

Wes said...

What more do you want, he was home on Monday AND Wednesday!!! Now go sing "Il Est Né Le Divin Enfant" like Mr. Poulin taught us. Happy Christmas!