Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Nit-Picker

Ever think where this expression comes from, to be nit-picky?

Picking out the nits of the lice from hair is so tedious and overwhelmingly scrutinizing, that only the most demanding person would refer to themselves as nit-picky.

Between 11 p.m. and midnight last night my sister Martha talked me back from the edge, so to speak. It was like a cross-Atlantic phone version of that song "Jumper" by Third Eye Blind. Crisis after medical crisis, in person or over the phone, she continues to save my hide decade after decade. Listens, sympathizes and then says 'ok, here's what you should do'. As a school nurse, the woman has SEEN IT ALL and knows more information, physiology and reproduction habits about lice than I even thought existed. I accept now that there is no easy solution, no magic potion. Pull them out, one by one, and keep doing it, day after day, until you get them all. Pray to God the rest of us don't get them. Martha also told me many horror stories of lice from her days at the hospital and at the school, so I'm taking comfort today by images of what is NOT my case.

Really, this is not a big deal. My daughter is in perfect health and this is not an illness nor anything serious. It is just a parasite.

Lucky me Thomas is going away for a hockey tournament from Friday until Sunday. Have I mentioned I don't have a dryer. Sigh. [Or am I just being nit-picky?]

7 comments:

Sam, Jr. said...

So glad to hear that Martha was able to listen and give advice to you. She is a god-send to us all.

Glad to hear you've got the nack of using the special comb.

I have been thinking of you and hoping that you were OK.

Caitrin said...

I hope you can get through this fast, I don't know how you are handling this without a dryer. I am praying for all of you!

W,C,H said...

I never though about where "nit picking" came from. Thanks for the education.

You're right, as long as everyone is healthy, then this is just a nuisance. And a learning experience. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

What would we do without Mart? She always comes to our aid, and she really seems to love helping and relishes in the medical details!! Julie, I am so proud that you are not freaking out!! I do think there is a more "stay calm, this is not the end of the world" attitude about lice in more recent years. Still...
I have picked my own share helping out in the nurse's office at school, and I agree, that it takes a good nit-picker to take this on...someone who can be focused, thorough, bordering on compulsive...wait, that's us!!
love to you all,
sam

Helene said...

Hi Julie ! There were lices also here but Mael didn't got them yet ! When I was a child, I used to get them aaaallll the time ! I remember hours with my head on my mom's laps. And those spray and special shampoos, beurk ! So no, it is not a big deal but "quelle galere" ! Good luck and hoping you will get rid of them soon. Big hug from us to all of you ! Helene

Lil' Martha said...

Julie, you are so sweet to flatter me. Nobody said nursing was glamorous!! However, with all of the accolades, you know all of your sisters would be there, in a heartbeat, to take a section of Estelle's hair and pull out nits!! We would make it a nit party! Too bad we weren't closer to you. But if you want to send me a plane ticket to Nice, I'm there. But, I think I will wait until Iceland's volcano behaves itself! Love, Mart

Aimee said...

My sister and I both caught lice from sharing softball helmets back in the day... I remember sitting in my mom's lap outside in the backyard while she "nit-picked" for hours. Ugh... my sister actually caught them again from the varsity cheerleaders in high school! They all went to a competition and shared hair tools - every single girl came home with lice. Fun times... I hope this is your one and only time dealing with them!